July 13, 2018. The Battle of Plum Creek in 1840 will be the topic of a historical program Friday at Lockhart State Park, 2012 State Park Road. The event will begin at 8 p.m. Donaly Brice, author of "The Great Comanche Raid: Boldest Indian Attack of the Texas Republic," will review this battle and raid that changed the course of Texas history. The program is free with regular park admission, which costs $3 for those 13 and older. Children 12 or younger are free.

July 26, 2018. Presentation-- Drone Footage on The Sandoval Plaza located on the Canadian River Sponsored by the Canyonlands Archeological Society 6:30 p.m., Motley County Library Annex, Downtown Matador. Program by Austin Allison of the Southwest Collection, TTU Library. The Sandoval Plaza was the subject of a recent fund raising tour offered by the Center of the Studies of the American West, Canyon, Texas. Canyonlands Archeological Society, with help from Jerry Leatherman of the Comanchero Canyons Museum, received permission to sponsor Austin Allison to take drone footage to share with CAS members.

The historic Sandoval Plaza was a short-lived settlement of New Mexican sheep men and families located in the Canadian River country. Agapito Sandoval and his family of seven children lived at the plaza in a house made of sandstone layers, mortared by adobe, with a sod roof supported by cottonwood beams.

Between 1876 and 1874 sheepherders followed Comanchero trails and pushed their flocks to the grazing lands of the Panhandle of Texas, settling along the creek banks. The dons built rock and adobe houses and sheep folds, establishing small communities along the Canadian River and the Quitaque Creek, with camps reaching into Blanco Canyon and Pease Rivers. Thousands of sheep preceded the influx of cattle herds in the area vacated by Native Americans through the military actions of the Red River War. Fiestas, bailes and senoritas, padres and missions, all added to the life of the plaza dwellers. Austin's drone footage provides a great overview of the ruins of one of these little known plazas that once dotted the Panhandle and our area. Come and join us at the Library Annex in downtown Matador. For those who wish to eat and fellowship beforehand, we will meet at nearby Galvan's Restaurant at 5:30. For more information contact Marisue Potts, Secretary marisuepotts@hotmail.com
Canyonlands Archeological Society
Rick Day, President

August 11, 2018. Third Plum Creek Symposium, Historic Dr. Eugene Clark Library in Lockhart, Texas. Produced by the Library’s critically acclaimed series Evenings with the Songwriter, presenters will include Lockhart native Donaly Brice, Kevin Mooney (also of Lockhart), Carolina Crimm (Huntsville), and Mary Jo O’Rear (Corpus Christi). Lockhart songwriter Fletcher Clark (host and producer of Evenings with the Songwriter) will act as emcee. Registration for the Symposium is $25, payable at the door (advance notification to attend is encouraged, given limited seating). For more information contact Fletcher Clark

MEMBER NEWS-----------------------------------

History comes alive at ‘The Haley’. Odessa American (TX) (Published as Odessa American, The (TX)) - June 23, 2018. MIDLAND The weight and substance of West Texas and Eastern New Mexico history have defined James Patrick "Pat" McDaniel's life since he first went riding on his grandfather's ranch near Fort Sumner, N.M., at the age of 4 or 5. And that history has been his profession since July 1, 1995, when he became director of the Nita Stewart Haley Memorial Library and J. Evetts Haley History Center at 1805 W. Indiana Ave.

Lonesome Dove’ photos come to local art gallery. Del Rio News-Herald (TX) - June 21, 2018. Photos from an epic Western adventure filmed in part on the Moody Ranch, just south of Del Rio, will be exhibited here during July.?"Lonesome Dove," a series of 55 matted and framed sepia-toned photographs taken by William D. Wittliff on the film set of the four-part mini-series, will be on display in the Del Rio Council for the Arts Firehouse Gallery, 120 E. Garfield St., beginning July 7.

Retelling tale of city's 'Littlest Skyscraper' Wichita Falls Times Record News (TX) - June 20, 2018. Editor's Note: The Times Record News is revisiting a tale of Wichita Falls lore, something you may already know but others are just discovering. Most cities wouldn't want to keep a lasting reminder of greed, gullibility and fraud. Most would have bulldozed any hint of a reminder. Not only would Wichita Falls residents prefer our symbol of fraud remain standing, we celebrate the tale that makes the legend of "The Littlest Skyscraper." The city's lasting tribute to greed and alleged fraud during the oil boom of the early 20th century is nearly 100 years old. Built in 1919, "The Littlest Skyscraper" stands four stories high and about 10X16-feet wide.

USS Arizona relic moving from boneyard to Texas Panhandle pedestal. Stars and Stripes (USA) - June 20, 2018. June 20--FORT SHAFTER, Hawaii -- In the early 1960s, workmen spent months carving up a huge unsubmerged portion of the USS Arizona, sunk by the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. Chunk by chunk, cranes lifted and transported pieces of the ship to the Navy's boneyard on nearby Waipio Peninsula -- all in preparation for constructing a permanent USS Arizona Memorial above the remaining submerged ship. The memorial was completed and dedicated in 1962. "That wreckage has been resting over there basically since 1961," said Daniel Martinez, chief historian for the WWII Valor in the Pacific National Monument, which includes the Arizona. On Thursday, a large piece of that deck will head to a war memorial in the Texas Panhandle, delivered by UPS via air and truck.

Cabinets of curiosities [Bandera Museum]. Kerrville Daily Times (TX) - June 24, 2018. "In 1933, prohibition had just been repealed in the United States, yearly salaries averaged $1,550, gas cost 10 cents a gallon, and Willie Nelson first flexed his golden pipes. That was also the year J. Marvin Hunter Sr., journalist, publisher and history buff, opened the Frontier Times Museum at 510 13th St. in Bandera.
Celebrated as one of the oldest history museums in Texas, this year, the museum marked its 85th anniversary. Today, more that 10,000 visitors annually are transported back to a time when museums were known as "cabinets of curiosities" and filled with treasures — both weird and wonderful.

NEW MEXICO NEWS----------------------------------
Historical Society gives out scholarships. Roswell Daily Record (NM) - June 21, 2018. During the month of May, the Historical Society for Southeast New Mexico was honored to give out five scholarships to graduating high school seniors through the Linda Hays Trust. These scholarships were entrusted to HSSENM through the Linda Hays Trust thanks to Troy Hays, and scholarships will be available for the next four years.


Add Comment
Comments are not available for this entry.